With the rise of infertility and family building for non-traditional families, there is an ever increasing need for women who are willing to serve as surrogates or egg donors for individuals and families in need.
For some women, the desire to serve in one of these roles has been a calling since they were very young – for others, it is a new and exciting opportunity that was recently discovered. Unfortunately, not everyone who has the desire to help others in this capacity is able to do so. Here are the requirements to be a surrogate with Family Source Consultants:
- You must be a resident of the United States – to ensure the highest of legal and ethical standards, we only work with surrogates who have residency in America. Surrogacy laws are regulated on the state level, but thankfully the vast majority of states have surrogacy friendly laws, allowing us to work with surrogates from all over the United States.
- Be between the ages of 21-45 – FSC does not impose age restrictions as an agency, but defers to the age guidelines established by fertility clinics.
- Be healthy in mind and body – importantly, using any type of illegal substance, or abusing alcohol or any drug is an automatic disqualification for being a surrogate. The individuals and couples who are turning to surrogacy to grow their families are entrusting their surrogate with THE most precious cargo of their lives – consequentially, choosing a surrogate who is healthy in all aspects of her life is of the utmost importance!
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or less – just like with age restrictions, FSC does not impose a BMI guideline, but defers to the BMI guidelines established by fertility clinics. If you meet all other criteria, but need to lose some weight to be under the BMI guidelines, the FSC Intake Manager team will gladly cheer you on in your weight loss journey to enable you to be a part of this life-changing experience!
- Have experienced a full-term pregnancy and are currently raising the child (or, if the child has reached adulthood, you DID raise the child until adulthood). This is important as fertility clinics will not work with a woman who has not yet experienced pregnancy, as there is no way to ascertain she would be able to carry a pregnancy to term without already having done so. Further, if a woman has only experienced pregnancy for which she gave the child up for adoption, she may not fully understand the ramifications of parenthood, and therefore is not in a mental state to understand the emotional aspects of surrogacy.
- Be in a stable living environment, without being on any public assistance. It is essential that our surrogates have a reliable source of income and are financially stable.
- Be committed to the process – a surrogacy journey from start to finish will take a minimum of 12 months if everything goes flawlessly (the goal!). In the world of third party reproduction though, there are often setbacks and delayed timelines, so it is of the utmost importance that our surrogates understand the time commitment required to be a part of a successful journey.
If you meet all the requirements and are ready to embark on a journey that will fill your heart and change your world – please reach out! Serving as a gestational surrogate has both financial and emotional rewards, and there are so many intended parents just waiting for someone like you to help them grow their family!